Skyrim crashes to desktop when starting a new game. This generally occurs due to a variety of issues prevailing in your computer. This article is a guide that discusses several reasons behind it and the various techniques that can be used to fix Skyrim crash.
- Modify INI File Settings
- Update Device Drivers
- Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
- Re-Setup Sound Settings
- Repair Game Settings
Modify INI File Settings
The INI Files stored on Skyrim installation directory contains various settings and required information. You need to modify them to fix Skyrim crash.
- Open My Computer.
- Open this directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Skyrim
- Right click the file called SkyrimPrefs.ini and select Copy.
- Paste it to your desktop.
- Now, in the original directory, right click SkyrimPrefs.ini file and select Open With | Notepad.
- Click Edit | Find.
- In the Find What box, type bMouseAcceleration and click Find Next button.
- Change its value to 0. (Assuming that the default value would be 1)
- Click File | Save.
Update Device Drivers
Updating all the device drives is an essential step required to fix Skyrim crash.
Download a Driver Updater and start a full scan with it.
Then, immediately download and install the updated versions to fix Skyrim crash.
Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
Skyrim crash can be stopped by running it in the compatibility mode. Launch Skyrim in the following way to fix your problem:
- Right click the Skyrim desktop shortcut and select Properties.
- In the Properties dialog, click Compatibility tab.
- Select the box Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Select an earlier version of Windows, for instance, Windows XP.
- Click Apply | OK.
- Refresh the desktop by pressing F5 at once.
- Double click Skyrim shortcut and start playing it.
Re-Setup Sound Settings
The sound settings, if not set in proper manner, can result in Skyrim crash. Change them in the following way to fix the problem:
- Click Start | Control Panel.
- Click Hardware and Sound | Sound.
- In the new Sound dialog, select speakers under Playback tab.
- Click Advanced tab, select Default Format to this one: 44.1 KHz 16 Bit
- Click Test to test it. Then, click OK | OK.
Repair Game Settings
Sometimes, Skyrim crash because of incorrect player and device settings that you set-up. To fix the problem and stop it from crashing, you have to re-setup them in an appropriate manner. Do the steps given below to do so:
- Download Skyrim Registry Fix such as Reginout System Utilities.
- A file named reginout_setup.exe will start downloading. Wait.
- After the download is finished, double click it to open and install the Fix-It on your computer.
- Under Registry Cleaner tab, click Start Scan button. When registry errors are listed, click Fix Errors button.
- Restart Skyrim to fix the issue permanently.