Even though there is a correct server name entered, your VPN Network Connection may show error 868. There are different approaches useful to fix this error at your own.
Error 868: “The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve.”
- Clear the DNS Cache
- Delete Internet History
- Delete Broken Registry Entries
- Reconfigure EDNS
- Disable Firewall Protection
Clear the DNS Cache
The DNS cache can be corrupt. Using Command Prompt, delete all the files from it to fix error code 868. Here are the required steps:
- Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories.
- Right click the Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator option.
- Type the following command: (NOT Case Sensitive)
- When a message is displayed telling the DNS Resolver Cache is successfully flushed, type Exit and press ENTER.
Delete Internet History
The web history has to be deleted in order to fix 868 error. Use your web browser to do so:
- Open your web browser.
- Press Alt key.
- Select Tools => Delete Browsing History.
- A new dialog will open. Confirm by clicking Delete button.
Delete Broken Registry Entries
Internet settings and relevant information stored in the registry can be broken hence you are facing this error. Delete them and repair corrupt registry settings to fix this issue.
Connect to the internet and download a Registry Cleaner. Start the installation procedure and run it after it is finished. Start a full scan and fix errors found in it.
EDNS stands for Extension mechanism for Domain Name System (DNS). It expands the size of various parameters of size restricted DNS protocols.
Error 868 may encounter because of wrong EDNS settings. Run the following command using Command Prompt.
- Open Command Prompt as discussed in the earlier paragraphs.
- Type the following commands: (Not Case Sensitive)
DNSCmd /Config /EnableEDNSProbes 0
Disable Firewall Protection
A firewall program running in the background can be the reason why your computer is showing error 868. It may be preventing connection with your computer hence this error is shown.
Simply disable the firewall protection to resolve the issue. Following are the steps provided for Windows Firewall. If you are using any other third party firewall program, then refer to its manual for detailed information.
1. Click Start => Control Panel.
2. In the Address Bar, type the following path and press ENTER:
Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall
3. There is a link called Turn Windows Firewall On or Off. Click it.
4. Disable your firewall program and click OK to apply the settings.