“A required privilege is not held by the client” error generally appears during the installation of a program. Below is given the error message:
Service Pack Setup could not backup registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Windows\ to file d:\$NtServicePackUninstall\reg00001.
1314: A required privilege is not held by the client.
Follow the steps below to get rid of the error:
- Set the Permissions Properly
- Create New Back Files and Directories
- Disable UAC
- Repair Registry Errors
Set the Permissions Properly
This issue may appear if you have not set the permissions to access C drive properly. To fix the problem make sure whether you are logged in as an Administrator or not. To set the permission properly and to solve A required privilege is not held by the client error follow the steps below:
- Open My Computer
- Right click on C: and select Properties
- Click on Security tab
- Now click on Advanced tab and then click the Owner tab
- Click your User Name in the Name List or Click Administrator if you are using computer as an Admin
- Click Edit and tick mark “Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants……………….”
- Click OK and then Yes
The above stated methods will replace defined permissions.
- After replacing the permissions click OK
Create New Back Files and Directories
Similar problem may occur if you have accidentally remove the Administrators group from the “Backup Files and Directories” user right. To create a new one follow the steps given below:
- Click on Start
- Type secpol.msc in search and press ENTER.
- Double click on Local Policies.
- Double click on User Rights Assignment.
- Double click on Back up Files and directories.
- Click on Add
- Double click on the Local Administrators group
- Click OK.
Another trick of fixing A required privilege is not held by the client error is to disable UAC. To so follow the steps given below:
- Click Start
- Type MSCONFIG in the search box
- Press Enter.
Click on Tools tab
- Click Disable UAC and then click Launch.
- A command window will appear on screen and shortly thereafter, a notification bubble appears informing you that UAC is disabled.
- Click Ok
- Restart your PC
Repair Registry Errors
Problem in Windows registry may prevent you from accessing certain files or folders. To fix this issue you have to download and install a registry cleaner tool. This will automatically repair the errors in registry.
If you want to skip above methods and want to fix the A required privilege is not held by the client error instantly then you should download and install RegInOut System Utilities. It is one of the best tool recommended by experts to solve A required privilege is not held by the client.